felix-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Web Console generic capabilities
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2011 13:44:19 GMT
Hi all

The Web Console bundle provides JQuery libraries for use by plugin bundles. It has once been
discussed, whether the provisioning of these libraries should be exposed in the Export-Package
header. At that time we -- correctly IMHO -- dismissed this idea.

As of OSGi Core 4.3 we now have a generic capabilities and requirements model, which allows
us to model these dependencies.

So I suggest, the Web Console defines a namespace for such libraries, etc. provided and exposes
them as generic capabilities. Plugins could then require.

  Provide-Capability =
     felix.webconsole; name=JQuery; version:Version=1.3.2;
     felix.webconsole; name=JQuery-UI; version:Version=1.8.1;

A plugin could then require JQuery 1.3 or higher:

  Require-Capability =
     felix.webconsole; filter:="(&(name=JQuery)(version>=1.3))

When running in a 4.3 (or later) compliant framework these capabilities and requirements will
be enforced. While in an earlier framework the headers are just ignored.

As for the namespace: Would felix.webconsole be ok ? Or should that be org.apache.felix.webconsole
? Would it make sense to register that with the OSGi alliance ?

View raw message