felix-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Future of the Maven SCR Plugin
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 18:20:38 GMT
I'll cut a release of the current trunk as this contains some
important bug fixes before starting the new work

2011/11/7 Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@adobe.com>:
> Hi,
> Am 07.11.2011 um 18:48 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:
>> +1 these were exactly my plans :) especially changing the retention
>> level to class file will allow us better tooling support (like using
>> an annotation processor which could be triggered from an ide as well)
>> and we can finally drop qdox.
>> If noone beats me, I'll create issues for these things and work on
>> them in the near future.
> Go, Carsten, go ! ;-)
> Regards
> Felix
>> Regards
>> Carsten
>> 2011/11/7 Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@adobe.com>:
>>> Hi all,
>>> The OSGi Compendium specification is taking shape and it will include a specification
for Declarative Services annotations for build-tools. This is the same turf as we operate
on with the SCR maven plugin (and ant task).
>>> Going forward I see the following changes, we might want to apply to the SCR
>>> * drop support for JavaDoc Tags. These have been deprecated for some time now
and I think going forward we should drop them. Not the least to make the plugin code simpler.
>>> * change the retention level of our own annotations from source level to class
file. This would bring the retention level in line with the upcoming OSGi annotations and
would allow us ot uniformely read the annotations from the class files.
>>> * Add support for the new OSGi standard annotations, of course.
>>> * Consider supportig mixing Felix and standard annotations in the same class
(not a requirement but might be helpful -- or confusing ;-) )
>>> * Replace the use of QDox for reading annotations by a class file annotation
reader, such as the BND library.
>>> * For backwards compatibility keep the support for the intermediate XML files
(OSGI-INF/scr-plugin/scrinfo.xml) we used for inheritance support. But in the future these
files will not be generated any longer and be replaced by direct class file reading of extended
>>> As a consequence of these changes, of course, the SCR maven plugin etc. would
be released with an increased major version number due to broken backwards compatibilty (dropping
JavaDoc tag support). Existing Java annotation use and existing compiled and bundled code
keeps being supported.
>>> We also, at the moment, keep our own annotations because they have a number of
advantages IMHO over the standard annotations:
>>>  - support class inheritance and abstract components
>>>  - have separate @Service annotations (with a different default for service
>>>  - have separate @Property annotations with simpler and less cluttering syntax
>>>  - integrated Metatype descriptor support
>>> WDYT ?
>>> Regards
>>> Felix
>> --