felix-dev mailing list archives

From Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future of the Maven SCR Plugin
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 01:23:51 GMT
Carsten:

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: Future of the Maven SCR Plugin
From: Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org>
To: dev@felix.apache.org
Date: Tue 08 Nov 2011 04:56:46 PM CST
> 2011/11/7 Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolotin@gmail.com>:
>> Carsten:
>>
>> is it feasible to include inside your plugin also m2e connector
>> which would expose incremental build : single-component-class => single-scr-xml-file
>>
>> as currently plugin is unusable in eclipse interactive mode;
>>
> Sure, and contributions are welcome of course :) At the moment I have
I have a working prototype; then I'll wait on your readiness to start
bugging you :-)

> no idea about what m2e requires and what to implement, but its a
you may want to start here:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_Extension_Development

> direction I'm definitly interested in.
great!

> I think once we have refactored and changed the current maven plugin,
> writing such things like this connector should be much easier
while refactoring now, please do not produce single monolithic xml;
at least please give an option to produce one xml per component;
(which is both fine per osgi spec and also I already tested with current
felix scr runtime - works ok)

> Regards
> Carsten
thank you

Andrei.

>> thanks.
>>
>> Andrei.

a specification for Declarative Services annotations for build-tools. This is the same turf
as we operate on with the SCR maven plugin (and ant task).

time now and I think going forward we should drop them. Not the least to make the plugin code
simpler.

to class file. This would bring the retention level in line with the upcoming OSGi annotations
and would allow us ot uniformely read the annotations from the class files.

same class (not a requirement but might be helpful -- or confusing ;-) )

annotation reader, such as the BND library.

XML files (OSGI-INF/scr-plugin/scrinfo.xml) we used for inheritance support. But in the future
these files will not be generated any longer and be replaced by direct class file reading
of extended classes.

etc. would be released with an increased major version number due to broken backwards compatibilty
(dropping JavaDoc tag support). Existing Java annotation use and existing compiled and bundled
code keeps being supported.

a number of advantages IMHO over the standard annotations: