felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Optimization of classloading error cases
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:25:26 GMT
On 10/26/11 05:02 , Guillaume Sauthier (OW2) wrote:
> Hi all
>
> In one of our project we spotted an intensive usage of ZipFile.getEntry()
> due to Felix trying to access the resource associated with a class when the
> class is not defined yet. As the requested resource is not boot delegated,
> nor imported and neither inside of the bundle, getEntry() returns null and
> Felix continue to follow its classloading algorithm. But trying to access
> the resource is time consumming, and the impact is bigger on performance
> when the same resource is requested for each of our request.
>
> I agree that we could fix this by being more smart in our usage to avoid
> theses error cases, but do you think it could be valuable for Felix to keep
> a "cache" of failed resource request, so that, next time Felix try to
> request the resource from the Bundle's content, we simply avoid this step
> and move forward ?
>
> I feel that it should be quite easy to implement that behavior, but before
> starting this task, I want to have your feedback.
> So WDYT ?

Actually, I thought we already implemented something like this, but I
didn't see it in the code after a quick perusal. I know for a fact that
we at least investigated it at one time, so if it is not in there
already, we must have deemed that it didn't make much of a difference.

If you want to open an issue and work on it, feel free to work on a
patch, but please get some before and after performance numbers to show
if it is worth it or not.

Thanks.

-> richard