felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: iPOJO vs SCR vs Blueprint
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 13:24:02 GMT
On 6/8/11 9:13, Peter Kriens wrote:
> The summary for me is that DS is limited to simplifying being a service and depending
on other services while iPOJO and Blueprint add a programming language (XML/Annotations) that
support services among many, many other features.

> In my experience DS is the simplest and least intrusive, especially with the SCR or bnd
annotations. Blueprint is not my favorite because I consider XML among the worst programming
languages one can imagine. I do not have a lot of experience with iPOJO; it is clearly the
most powerful but it somehow lacks a compelling reason to switch as none of its additional
functions seem worth the effort to switch.

Yeah, who needs things like automatic concurrency handling for services
or byte-code generated smart service references that eliminate the need
to turn everything into a component in order to pass around services
throughout your component? It's better to do all that stuff by hand with
DS... ;-)

-> richard

p.s. Sorry, I couldn't resist... :-P

> Anyway, who cares. They all interact very nicely and switching from one to the other
is not so hard as long as you could in POJOs.

> Kind regards,
>
> 	Peter Kriens
>

> On 30 mei 2011, at 13:25, Felix Meschberger wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just stating an incompletely informed opinion here ..
>>
>> If you want something simple, light-weight and easy to use, go for
>> Declarative Services.
>>
>> If you want elaborate functionality or need something Declarative
>> Services does not provide, consider iPojo (I understand it is an
>> evolution of Declarative Services, right ?)
>>
>> If you have a Spring background go for blueprint.
>>
>> Regards
>> Felix, whose loves and sticks with Declarative Services ;-)

>>> In fact, casual users wish for an almighty expert who knows all solutions
>>> in-depth and exposes them to all.
>>>
>>> If there's no such expert, the second best method is, experts of different
>>> solutions advertise themself and compare with each other.
>>>
>>> Maybe that can be called religious flame war, but it's valuable. What we
>>> really need in open community is simple and perfect product in technology,
>>> but not many repeat manufacturing wheels like some outside companies.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> drhades

three component
and iPOJO provide