felix-dev mailing list archives

From Valentin Valchev <v_valc...@prosyst.bg>
Subject Re: Split Web Console
Date Thu, 19 May 2011 15:02:20 GMT
Hello Felix,
I personally welcome your suggestion. Let's take benefit of the
modularity that OSGi provides and split the plugins. This would also
make them easier to maintain.
Still too many bundles might be a little bit frustrating. So maybe API +
Web Console Impl + Core Support should stay in one bundle - this way
installing one bundle you get all core API including the possibility to
extend the framework by installing new bundles.

The other plugins could be individually packaged in bundles.

As for the Licenses plugin, I'm not quite sure it is part of the OSGi
specification, so IMHO it should be also a separate bundle.

Regards,
Valentin Valchev

On 19.5.2011 г. 17:37 ч., Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The current Web Console bundle currently contains a lot of stuff with
> some dependencies to the "outside":
>
>   * Web Console API (optionally used by plugins)
>   * Core Support
>       - Bundles
>       - Services
>       - System Status
>       - Configuration Status (pluggable in itself)
>       - Licenses
>   * OSGi Compendium Support
>       - Felix DS Admin
>       - Configuration Admin
>       - Shell
>       - Log Service
>       - Event Admin
>       - Deployment Admin
>   * Actual Web Console implementation
>
> Now, if a framework instance does not have the Compendium Services
> installed, the respective pages are either empty or erroneous or cause
> exceptions in the log (see FELIX-2727 for example).
>
> I am thinking about splitting the Web Console Bundle up like this:
>    * A Web Console API bundle just exporting the API
>    * A Web Console Core bundle importing the Web Console API,
>        exporting nothing and just providing the "Core Support"
>        pages as listed above.
>    * One additional bundle for Compendium support allowing for
>        more flexible and dynamic adaption.
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Regards
> Felix

Valentin Valchev · Lead Software Engineer
ProSyst Labs EOOD
1606 Sofia, Bulgaria · 48 Vladajska Str.
Tel. +359 (0)2 952 35 81; Fax +359 (0)2 953 26 17
http://www.prosyst.com · v.valchev@prosyst.bg
stay in touch with your product.