felix-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kriens <peter.kri...@aqute.biz>
Subject Re: OSGi split tool for Java project in Eclipse
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 06:34:21 GMT
I've assigned this bug to me, as I read it this should make me the mentor of this project.

Kind regards,

	Peter Kriens

On 31 mrt 2011, at 04:44, Tiger Gui wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I have created the JIRA issue "[GSoc 2011]Bndtools based OSGi bundles
> maker project" [1] in Apache JIRA system, now it is in Apache GSoC
> 2011 issue list, and i also mentioin mentor and gsoc in the labels. I
> want to assign you as mentor for this project, but i do not know how
> to do it, i have been traveling in the JIRA system for hours, but can
> not find how to assign a mentor for a issue :-(
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-2898
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?pager/start=50
>
> 2011/3/30 Peter Kriens <peter.kriens@aqute.biz>:
>> As far as I understand you should create a JIRA issue in FELIX for this and assign
it to me. You should then mention mentor and gsoc in the labels. This should assign me as
mentor. I am a Felix committer.

>> Kind regards,
>>
>>        Peter Kriens
>>
>> On 30 mrt 2011, at 10:42, Tiger Gui wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Peter,
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for your interested. You pointed a distinct way
>>> for me, i have read some documents about your bndtools project, may be
>>> it is a good idea to build such a tool based on bndtools.  I would
>>> like build my project as an extension to bndtools very much.
>>>
>>> Google Summer of Code 2011 have began already, i will finish my
>>> "Bndtools based OSGi bundles maker" project proposal in the next
>>> couple days and submit it in GSoC web site[1], obviously, i will mark
>>> you as my project mentor in my proposal, the only problem is that you
>>> should register as a mentor in GSoC web site and mentor my project. If
>>> you do not know GSoC much, the following links [2][3][4] may help you
>>> much.
>>>
>>> Hoping that you can finish a fantastic job together this summer :-)
>>>

>>> [1] http://socghop.appspot.com
>>> [2] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
>>> [3] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2011tasks
>>> [4] http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

in a cycle. A -> B -> C -> A. Normally I find that these packages should be in the
same bundle. In bnd (the current next branch) I already can calculate those strongly connected
packages. In general, I find that many, especially larger, bundles consist of a number of
subsystems.

there is no cycle between these subsystem dependencies (otherwise they would be strongly connected
and be part of the same subsystem).

few dependencies. The OSGi specification packages are prime examples. Having imports in these
packages is always suspect. In my experience, API must be maintained independently but carried
in the bundle that implements the API.
and in general packages are not substitutable.
API it should carry the API packages.
impl. code, no exports. This case is special because they tend to drag in a lot dependencies
that are only required when the dependency is already there. For example, a subsystem can
provide packages that make it useful in Spring. I.e. it does not require Spring but when other
people use spring the package can be used in that connected world. Another example is bnd.
It is an ant task but it should only require ant when it runs inside ant.

this model and refactor the code accordingly. The techniques should be in bnd (which is a
restricted environment) and the GUI should be in bndtools, If you're willing to work this
way then I'd love to be your Google code mentor.