felix-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kriens <peter.kri...@aqute.biz>
Subject Re: OSGi split tool for Java project in Eclipse
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 07:21:48 GMT
I am very interested in this, especially in relation to bnd(tools). Some thoughts.

The trick is to find strongly coupled packages. These are packages that are in a cycle. A
-> B -> C -> A. Normally I find that these packages should be in the same bundle.
In bnd (the current next branch) I already can calculate those strongly connected packages.
In general, I find that many, especially larger, bundles consist of a number of subsystems.

These subsystems have dependencies on each other, however, by definition there is no cycle
between these subsystem dependencies (otherwise they would be strongly connected and be part
of the same subsystem).

I find that there are then the following types of subsystems:

API - Self contained, no internal dependencies. All exported/imported. Very few dependencies.
The OSGi specification packages are prime examples. Having imports in these packages is always
suspect. In my experience, API must be maintained independently but carried in the bundle
that implements the API.
Library - Exported code == implementation. Few imports, everything is exported and in general
packages are not substitutable.
Implementation - Private code. No exports, many imports, If it provides an API it should carry
the API packages.
Bridge - Connects an external subsystem to an internal subsystem. Imports impl. code, no exports.
This case is special because they tend to drag in a lot dependencies that are only required
when the dependency is already there. For example, a subsystem can provide packages that make
it useful in Spring. I.e. it does not require Spring but when other people use spring the
package can be used in that connected world. Another example is bnd. It is an ant task but
it should only require ant when it runs inside ant.

What I am looking for is an extension to bndtools that allows me to visualize this model and
refactor the code accordingly. The techniques should be in bnd (which is a restricted environment)
and the GUI should be in bndtools, If you're willing to work this way then I'd love to be
your Google code mentor.

Kind regards,

	Peter Kriens