felix-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Re-trying releases
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 13:18:58 GMT
Hi,

My vetoes (actually there is no veto in a release vote since this is a
majority vote) are grounded on a message Roy Fielding once sent to the
Jackrabbit list [1]:

> The problem with doing all of our laundry in public is that the public
> often download our unreleased packages even when we tell them not to.
> For that reason, most Apache projects increment the patch-level number
> each time a new package is produced (releases do not need to be
> sequential).

Unfortunately I cannot readily find the written rule for this, but this
makes perfect sense to me, which is why I would prefer to get a new
version number. Which is also why I always choose a new version number
for a release vote after I had to cancel a vote.

Regards
Felix

[1] http://markmail.org/message/533ybky6pqwwc2is