felix-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Petritsch <michael.petrit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IllegalArgumentException when trying to load a class
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 13:01:04 GMT
I think the java spec is not very clear on this. The classname has to
be a "binary name" (which afaik a string containing parenthesis can't
be), but still the loadClass method is accepting any type of string as
parameter and the only exception this method should throw is a
ClassNotFoundException.

And when trying to loadClass(String className) with
sun.misc.Launcher.AppClassLoader you get a ClassNotFoundException if
the passed string contains parenthesis.

I checked some sourcecode of harmony and they also never filter out
strings with parenthesis (they're throwing a NullPointerException if
the string is null though).

So it is not legal to have classnames containing parenthesis, but it's
(practically) legal trying to load such classes.

Regards,
Michael