felix-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Missing ASL header
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 09:34:05 GMT

Le 1 déc. 2010 à 17:58, David Savage a écrit :

> 2010/12/1 Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org>:
>> Hi David,
>>

>>> Ok no response on this, but I've decided to update the file in any
>>> case. Richard H pointed me at the
>>> $felix-svn/framework/src/main/resources/default.properties file that
>>> includes basically the same information as jvm-packages.properties.
>>> This includes a version attribute which I think will be useful later,
>>> so I've scrapped the previous contents of jvm-packages.properties and
>>> gone with this new format.
>>>
>>> You should find this file (with associated ASL header) here:
>>>
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/sigil/common/core/profiles/jvm-packages.properties
>>
>> finally I used a modified version of jvm-packages.properties [1] because I don't
have a "property expander". Or maybe there is in Ivy but I wanted to quickly fix the unit
tests. I'll probably review this later to use the new format.

>>> Out of interest I believe bushel and sigil are providing similar
>>> capabilities - sigil has a mapping of OSGi meta data into an ivy
>>> resolution - however the way we go about it looks quite different to
>>> what bushel (does/proposes?). We perform import package resolution
>>> using an OSGi resolver outside of ivy and then synthesis ivy modules
>>> at runtime, I believe bushel is intending on pushing the meta
>>> information into ivy.xml files and then use the standard ivy resolver.
>>
>> I think you have clearly summarized the difference here :)
>>
>>> Not saying either approach is right/wrong I think it'd be great if
>>> there is any useful collaborations we can build once you're setup on
>>> apache - let me know?
>>
>> The code has been imported. I am writing some doc right now. I'll try to probably
write something about the difference with sigil. Hopefully I'll write something fair ;)
>> I'll keep you posted if I write anything about Sigil.
>
> Great it's always useful to get feedback :)
>

>> I'm not sure how we can collaborate and share some code, but I would be happy to
do so. I'll keep subscribed to felix-dev.

> Yep understood just to say I'm not pushing an uber answer here - in
> the end it's about making a good set of tools to build code with -
> where ever that happens is fine by me. I like what we've done with
> Sigil, but there are definitely many ways to think about these
> problems, I think at this stage trying all sorts of possibilities is
> good. Should I follow the ant-dev list for bushel?

that's it.

Note that the name "bushel" is disappearing into the "OSGi capability of Ivy".

Nicolas

> Regards,
>
> Dave
>

>> Nicolas
>>
>> [1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy/core/trunk/src/java/org/apache/ivy/osgi/core/jvm-packages.properties
>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Dave

files under the EPL which I had to remove from the import. These files were defining the packages
which should be part of the bootstrap classpath depending on the execution environment.

but ASL friendly. I have found them: [2].

was a real ASF one, and I searched svn and I have found a commit that makes me doubt [3].

is safe to be an ASF one. So could you add the ASL header so there won't be any doubt ?