felix-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Siebert <smsi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configuration Generations/Auditing
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:49:44 GMT
Felix,

I was quite interested in this topic as well.  A similar question was raised
during the Apache ACE session, so it seems to be a popular request.

First, I agree this is something that many implementations would want/need -
I too have a need for this.  In fact, I would argue more towards the #2
aspect, because quite often the specific bundles I chose to use is indeed
part of the system "configuration" (and each of these bundles have their own
actual configuration, as defined by the Config Admin service).  A simple
example of this may be an implementation of a LogReader Service, where I
provide an additional bundle that provides a LogListener to do store/forward
of log events.  This is part of my systems "configuration", and needs to be
captured so I can manage my system(s).

Given that the Configuration Admin Services concern is to provide a means to
deliver configuration to a bundle/make it available when the bundle is
activated, it seems like a logical extension of the Config Admin
responsibility...however, I am hesitant to immediatly agree with this.  I
wonder if this should be an organic functionality of the Configuration Admin
service or that of a the implementation, a separate well defined service,
and/or that of a deployment manager (such as the web console or Apache
ACE).  Leaving this management functionality as part of the implementation
or (as I would prefer) part of a management application, allows my OSGi
implementations that do not need this local CM functionality to stay lean
and allow my management systems to handle the management remotely.  I can
also see this "configuration management" functionality be part of a new spec
(Configuration Management), which could compliment the Configuration Admin
service, allowing to view/change/rollback to previous runtime configuration
"snapshots" (optionally including config and bundle deployments).

All that said, I can see problems with the approach of leaving this to just
the deployment manager.  For example, just because I use a manager of some
sort doesn't mean that someone else can't use the console.  And, if I'm
relying on these changes to be captured inline by the management console,
I'll miss these changes.  Therefore, you need a service on the OSGi runtime
to monitor these changes.  This problem was solved by the Apache ACE project
by the means of providing "feedback" to the provisioning server (if one is
configured) with audit messages.  I believe the ACE gateway (target)
agent/manager caches the previous bundles and configuration as well, mostly
for performance concerns, I believe.  Perhaps this work can be looked at and
expanded?

Thanks for all the great work!

Respectfully,

Steve