felix-dev mailing list archives

From Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <reto.bachm...@trialox.org>
Subject Re: Felix Scala Project
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 16:19:25 GMT
I think the console might provide benefits to different audiences at
different levels of its development

   - In a first step the console will be an alternative to the normal scala
   console with the advantage that the classpath can be changed at runtime.
   With the current scala console it has to be restarted with the additional
   jars in the classpath, with osgi-scala one would simply have to enter
   "install <bundle-url>". At this stage doing OSGi management task is possible
   via a global BundleContext instance, but rather tedious as only little
   shortcuts (like the install command) are available
   - As a next step support for easily accessing arbitrary service instance
   is added, this allows to quickly test and use them with scala script code.
   For this the already mentioned Scala Modules might be a good foundation.
   - The scala DSL (domain specific language) shall be extended to provide
   the full set of OSGi-console commands. The commands shall work as expected
   by somebody who knows nothing about scala. However by actually being scala
   advanced operation like passing a filter-function to the ps/lb command is
   posible too.

I hope this makes the vision a little clearer.

Cheers,
reto