felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Felix Scala Project
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 14:39:17 GMT
On 7/7/10 3:39, Reto Bachmann-Gmuer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Richard S. Hall<heavy@ungoverned.org>wrote:
>
> I'm not too familiar with Scala, so pardon my ignorance.
>
>> So is the proposal to have some sort of Scala-based console/shell? Does
>> this mean you can do Scala-based scripting and syntax? Is this something
>> that could simply be another shell front end for the Gogo runtime or is it
>> somehow completely different?
>>

> I must  admit I'm not familiar with OSGi RFC-147 so I'm not sure if it could
> be implemented on it.
>
> To be as attractive for people currently not using OSGi it should feel as
> much as possible like the scala console, this includes:
> - autocompletion with tab
> - multi-line expressions (afte an incomplete expression such as one opening,
> but not closing a bracket a continuation-prompt appears)
>
> Once we have this we can add a DSL to more easily do OSGi related tasks
> (listing services and bundles, accessing services, etc. )

Well, I still can't say I totally understand what is being proposed, but
I'm not against having people work on it at Felix if other people think
its worthwhile. If it does ultimately blossom into a full-blown shell
for OSGi, then there will certainly be some overlap with Gogo, but we
can always look for ways to bridge the two...

-> richard