felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Felix Scala Project
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 21:09:13 GMT
On 7/5/10 14:58, Reto Bachmann-Gmuer wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've recently mailed to the lists of clerezza, sling and commons the idea of
> pooling the resources around support for scala in osgi[1].
>
> In both sling and clerezza we need scala so that:
> - it can be used in an osgi container
> - it exposes the scripting interfaces as per JSR 223 (javax.scripting)
>
> We have an initial implementation in clerezza based on scala 2.8 and there's
> also an implementation in sling.
>
> After several off-list mails with Michael Dürig who is responsible for the
> scala support in sling and with Bertrand Delacretaz we found that the best
> place to integrate such an effort would be the felix project.
>
> Apart from the above mentioned features (which could also be part of the
> default scala distribution, but this is not to be expected in the nearer
> future), the felix scala project should also provide a console running on
> osgi, just like the normal scala console but with additional possibilities
> like adding a bundle-jar at runtime and accessing the available services (of
> course you can look at it as an extended osgi console too). This could
> attract people from the scala community and using osgi with felix is a
> smaller step than diving into a platform like sling or clerezza.

I'm not too familiar with Scala, so pardon my ignorance.

So is the proposal to have some sort of Scala-based console/shell? Does
this mean you can do Scala-based scripting and syntax? Is this something
that could simply be another shell front end for the Gogo runtime or is
it somehow completely different?

-> richard