felix-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Package versioning (was Re: [VOTE] Release webconsole 3.1.0 bundlerepository 1.6.4, karaf 1.6.2 (2nd try))
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 20:59:10 GMT
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 15:05, Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 15.06.2010 14:49, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>> What if you change the semantic of a function call without changing the
>> signature ?
>> I guess that's an incompatible change in theory, though still binary
>> compatible. So we can't limit to binary compatibility for versioning imho,
>> which mean there is some semantic involved.
>
> Yes, agreed, this is in fact an API change - and therefore requires an
> update in the exported package version.
>
> Nevertheless: I would say, that changing the semantics of a method is
> dangerous, just because it involves no change on the invocation level.
> So I would think, that changing the semantics of a method is even more
> dangerous than an incompatible API change.
>

>> If you expect the user to take an action when upgrading, it means there is a
>> (somewhat) incompatible change imho.
>
> Really depends on the kind of upgrade.
>
> Consider for example the Web Console upgrading to the next JQuery
> release. This would require a new Web Console release with an increased
> bundle version number.
>
> But since nothing in the API changes as a consequence of this JQuery
> upgrade, we must not increase the exported package version number !
>
> BTW: [1] is highly recommended reading !

The document actually clearly talks about semantic compatibility.

The question then comes down to: is the environment provided by the
webconsole to the plugin part of the semantic of the package exported.
 I would think so.  Which leads me to have to bump the major version
of the package if the html output of the plugin won't work anymore.

Note the title of this document is really "semantic versioning", not
"binary compatibility".   Though binary compatibility is usually a
great deal, it is clearly not sufficient to capture the whole semantic
versioning of a given package ...

> Regards
> Felix
>
> [1] http://www.osgi.org/wiki/uploads/Links/SemanticVersioning.pdf
>

>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 14:36, Alasdair Nottingham <not@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 a package version change reflects a change to the package, not a
>>> change to the implementation.

Web

>>> code.

>>> version