felix-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NOTICE/DEPENDENCIES files for Felix subproject releases
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 18:58:31 GMT
Isn't the DEPENDENCIES file genereted by maven?

On Wednesday, June 9, 2010, Richard S. Hall <heavy@ungoverned.org> wrote:
> On 6/9/10 13:55, Richard S. Hall wrote:
>
> With the latest release of the framework and Gogo modules, we've tried to update the
release process for how we handle the NOTICE file. Our past usage is apparently not aligned
with the intended usage, where the NOTICE file should only contained notices for included
third-party software whose license requires notice. Our new approach (for now) is this:

>   1. Include a NOTICE file which contains only required notices.
>   2. Include a DEPENDENCIES file which contains our acknowledgments
>      about the software the subproject uses.
>
> For the most part, this isn't a major hassle and largely boils down to this:
>
>   1. Rename the current NOTICE file to DEPENDENCIES.
>   2. Create a new NOTICE file that contains notices only for the "used"
>      software requiring notices in the DEPENDENCIES file.
>

> Sorry, that should say: "included" software, not "used" software...
>

> Although the new DEPENDENCIES file is very similar to the old NOTICE file, the template
is slightly different as indicated here:

>     https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/DEPENDENCIES+file+template+%28PROPOSED%29
>
> Of course, in the long term we can try to move to automating the generation of the NOTICE
and/or DEPENDENCIES files, which would make our lives simpler. If any subprojects currently
are able to automate this information, as long as the generated files contain information
consistent with what is proposed here, then the exact formatting is not that important. But
for hand generated files, follow this template.

> If you want to see examples, look in the framework or gogo subprojects.
>
> -> richard
>
> p.s. This is obviously all open for discussion to the specifics, but until then we should
use this approach for releases in an effort to better align with Apache process (with perhaps
the exception of Karaf since if/when it goes TLP then its PMC will decide how to do releases).

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet