felix-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed Resolution: Establish Apache Karaf as a TLP
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 21:05:14 GMT
IMMHO the para in your mail hist the nail squarely on the head, we're all
geeks here.

On 7 Jun 2010 21:17, "Richard S. Hall" <heavy@ungoverned.org> wrote:

On 6/7/10 15:52, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> This isn't too important, but I have to ...
I don't think there was an attempt to use "happy market terms", but we can
certainly try to improve the description.

Your characterization seems somewhat narrowly focused on servlets, but Karaf
really is a generic, OSGi-based runtime for creating enterprise servers,
which may or may not use servlets. It simply tries to provide a common set
of generic features needed by enterprise services, such as hot deployment,
configuration management, logging, extensible and remotely accessible shell,
etc. You could build any sort of server out of these features.

I understand your main concern to be that the description is too broad, is
that correct? Given that the applicability of Karaf is broad and generic, do
you have any further suggestions on how better to describe it to make it
sound more focused? Thanks.

-> richard