felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: NOTICE/DEPENDENCIES files for Felix subproject releases
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:39:19 GMT
On 6/15/10 8:11, Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi,
> I have created FELIX-2411 as a container to fix all our subprojects over
> time.
> I have also updated an earlier patch to the parent POM attached to
> FELIX-1747 to use the latest Apache Parent POM 7, which already is
> correctly configured to use the Maven Remote Resources plugin and
> generate valid ASF source artifacts to vote upon.
> IMHO we should really be using the Maven Remote Resources plugin to
> generate the legal files.
> Regards
> Felix
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-2411
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-1747

Thanks for looking into this Felix.

I played with it a little bit by trying to build framework and OBR with
it...it didn't give me the best results, but this is likely because it
doesn't understand that we are embedding source and or byte code. Any
subproject using BND to embed byte code from other dependencies will
likely not be correct.

So, we could potentially use this to automate information gathering, but
it doesn't help us with the verification. We should probably create some
documentation and perhaps an example on how to use it and augment its

-> richard

> On 09.06.2010 19:55, Richard S. Hall wrote:
>> With the latest release of the framework and Gogo modules, we've tried
>> to update the release process for how we handle the NOTICE file. Our
>> past usage is apparently not aligned with the intended usage, where the
>> NOTICE file should only contained notices for included third-party
>> software whose license requires notice. Our new approach (for now) is this:
>>    1. Include a NOTICE file which contains only required notices.
>>    2. Include a DEPENDENCIES file which contains our acknowledgments
>>       about the software the subproject uses.
>> For the most part, this isn't a major hassle and largely boils down to
>> this:
>>    1. Rename the current NOTICE file to DEPENDENCIES.
>>    2. Create a new NOTICE file that contains notices only for the "used"
>>       software requiring notices in the DEPENDENCIES file.
>> Although the new DEPENDENCIES file is very similar to the old NOTICE
>> file, the template is slightly different as indicated here:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/DEPENDENCIES+file+template+%28PROPOSED%29
>> Of course, in the long term we can try to move to automating the
>> generation of the NOTICE and/or DEPENDENCIES files, which would make our
>> lives simpler. If any subprojects currently are able to automate this
>> information, as long as the generated files contain information
>> consistent with what is proposed here, then the exact formatting is not
>> that important. But for hand generated files, follow this template.
>> If you want to see examples, look in the framework or gogo subprojects.
>> ->  richard
>> p.s. This is obviously all open for discussion to the specifics, but
>> until then we should use this approach for releases in an effort to
>> better align with Apache process (with perhaps the exception of Karaf
>> since if/when it goes TLP then its PMC will decide how to do releases).

View raw message