felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject NOTICE/DEPENDENCIES files for Felix subproject releases
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 17:55:41 GMT
With the latest release of the framework and Gogo modules, we've tried
to update the release process for how we handle the NOTICE file. Our
past usage is apparently not aligned with the intended usage, where the
NOTICE file should only contained notices for included third-party
software whose license requires notice. Our new approach (for now) is this:

   1. Include a NOTICE file which contains only required notices.
   2. Include a DEPENDENCIES file which contains our acknowledgments
      about the software the subproject uses.

For the most part, this isn't a major hassle and largely boils down to this:

   1. Rename the current NOTICE file to DEPENDENCIES.
   2. Create a new NOTICE file that contains notices only for the "used"
      software requiring notices in the DEPENDENCIES file.

Although the new DEPENDENCIES file is very similar to the old NOTICE
file, the template is slightly different as indicated here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/DEPENDENCIES+file+template+%28PROPOSED%29

Of course, in the long term we can try to move to automating the
generation of the NOTICE and/or DEPENDENCIES files, which would make our
lives simpler. If any subprojects currently are able to automate this
information, as long as the generated files contain information
consistent with what is proposed here, then the exact formatting is not
that important. But for hand generated files, follow this template.

If you want to see examples, look in the framework or gogo subprojects.

-> richard

p.s. This is obviously all open for discussion to the specifics, but
until then we should use this approach for releases in an effort to
better align with Apache process (with perhaps the exception of Karaf
since if/when it goes TLP then its PMC will decide how to do releases).