felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Framework release coming soon
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 22:18:13 GMT
On May 27, 2010, at 20:49 , Richard S. Hall wrote:

> So, we are gearing up to release the 3.0 version of the framework. As part of this release,
we're going to include Gogo as the default shell in the framework binary distribution. Gogo
requires Java 5 or later, but don't worry, the framework still targets lesser JREs. :-)

Do we require Java 5 to compile the code or to run the shell?

> I've uploaded a snapshot of the distribution in tar.gz and zip if anyone wants to play
with it:
>    https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots-group/org/apache/felix/org.apache.felix.main.distribution/2.1.0-SNAPSHOT/
> Word of warning, the "ps" command has been renamed to "lb" (i.e., list bundles)...type
"help" to see available commands.

I played a bit with the new shell. Works nicely. Some error messages are a bit cryptic, for

g! inspect
gogo: IllegalArgumentException: Cannot coerce inspect[] to any of [(String, String, Bundle[])]

The first part of the response "gogo: IllegalArgumentException: " is way too technical and
does not really add much value in my opinion.
The second part too is a bit cryptic. Yes, I'm not providing the right arguments, but this
message does not really help me to come up with a better attempt next time. I know that typing
"help inspect" gives me what I want, but a message like this would be better:

You did not provide any arguments, command needs:
   String (package | bundle | fragment | service),
   String (capability | requirement),
   Bundle[] target bundles

Also, the help command itself could add a summary for each command, now it prints:

g! help

Better would be:
felix:bundlelevel - set bundle start level or initial bundle start level
felix:cd - change current directory
felix:frameworklevel - set framework active start level

Greetings, Marcel

View raw message