felix-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Karaf features improvements
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 16:19:18 GMT
Well, I'm not completely sure about marking a feature as installed as
soon as the  bundles are all installed, neither the opposite actually.

There is some work going on in the OSGi Alliance about multiple
frameworks in one JVM (see
for more informations).  This would enable to have a tree of OSGi
frameworks instead of a single instance and would enable controlled
sharing between a framework and its parent.      This would enable a
controlled level of isolation and could be used to make sure some
features don't interfere with each other.  That's one of the reason
i'm not totally convinced about your proposal.  If we'd were to use
nested frameworks, each feature would have its own framework, so that
would not map well to your proposal.

The two other things i have in mind for features are:
  * give a lifecycle to a feature (start / stop)
  * allow more control on the bundles when installed (started level,
start state)
  * leverage obr to compute a transitive closure of the feature before

The last one would allow a more loose definition of a feature but just
specifying the list of key bundles and let the features service
determine all the required dependencies and download / install them.

FWIW, nested frameworks are not available yet in felix (there's only a
prototype in an equinox branch), so we can't really use those now, but
the other things should be possible to implement now.  In particular,
the use of OBR should now be possible since the new release as some
acceptable performances.