felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Maven groupId question
Date Wed, 05 May 2010 16:03:50 GMT
On 5/5/10 11:38, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> Yes, you don't end up with 100s of jars in org.apache.felix,
> so it's better categorized.

I think we can't help but categorize our artifacts, since they are long
names, e.g.:

So all "gogo" JARs are categorized automatically since their JAR files
all of the form:

I guess I am not sure why we worry about how Maven organizes its
repo...seems like an implementation detail to me.

-> richard

> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 17:20, Richard S. Hall<heavy@ungoverned.org>  wrote:
>> I noticed while poking around Gogo that its Maven groupId is:
>>     org.apache.felix.gogo
>> While most other subprojects are:
>>     org.apache.felix
>> Apparently, Karaf also creates its own groupId. I guess I was under the
>> assumption that all subprojects were using the same groupId. It doesn't seem
>> necessary, even if you have multiple modules, since for example iPOJO has
>> multiple modules, but still uses org.apache.felix.
>> I realize the groupId doesn't really have much impact, but it does make it
>> somewhat confusing to know which is the correct groupId to use for a given
>> subproject. So, from that perspective it seems easier and more consistent if
>> every subproject just used the same groupId. Are there any benefits of
>> having separate groupIds?
>> ->  richard

View raw message