felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Jackson, Bruce" <bru...@qualcomm.com>
Subject Re: Felix embedded on Android
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 06:13:21 GMT
Thanks Clement, that's what I suspected just wanted to check there were no unexpected gotchas.

----- Reply message -----
From: "Clement Escoffier" <clement.escoffier@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Apr 19, 2010 22:27
Subject: Felix embedded on Android
To: "dev@felix.apache.org" <dev@felix.apache.org>

On 20.04.2010, at 02:13, Jackson, Bruce wrote:

> Hi there
> On the Felix/Android site ( http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-and-google-android.html)
there is a comment that:
> “Apache Felix can also be integrated with an Android application. To achieve this,
you need to embed Felix into onCreate() method of your Activity class”
> Does anyone know: is this an exclusive provision for some reason, or can an embedded
Felix instance exist in a Service rather than an Activity?

It is definitely better to embed Felix inside an Android service, just explicitly start your
service (startService). However, to interact with the user, you must use Notifications as
a Service does not have access to the UI.