felix-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: trunk/webconsole fails to build
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:29:24 GMT
Hi,

On 23.03.2010 11:59, Craig Phillips wrote:
> mvn == disaster

This sentence probably does not bring us anywhere here ....

> It's time to think outside the box;
>
> Let me introduce "source bundles"...
>
> I have enormous philosophy behind this, but I won't go there; I'll only
> "share" a demonstration and the eclipse workspace thereof;

Oh, btw: eclipse == disaster (just kidding, I am also using Eclipse)

> I "invented" source bundles... Simply put, it's a bundle without
> dot.class files... Instead, you put in dot.java files (and, the
> mechanics can be extended to any language, including scripted languages)...
>
> I took all the felix framework bundles, minus the "system bundle", off
> the trunk (and old trunk from last October -- it's only a demo, chill),
> and converted them to source bundles, outfitted the system bundle with a
> "builder" (takes a source bundle, looks at the manifest, and compiles
> the dot.java files and rezips the resultant "executable bundle");
>
> Unfortunately, due to mods to the system bundle and other various "spec"
> mods, I never gained traction; My true recourse is to simply ignore the
> detractors and move ahead with a standalone "builder", but that's
> politics and I won't go there either;
>
> The demo only works on windoze at the moment due to an issue with
> locating the "felix.jar" for compilation purposes (I have a hack for the
> mac, but ultimately I need a registration configuration entry)...
>
> Anyways, without further ado...
>
> demonstration: http://www.box.net/shared/4jssc5r69c
>
> eclipse workspace: http://www.box.net/shared/914tdoxcfp
>
> This has pretty much been put to bed since last November (I've been busy
> with real work... at least the kind that pays bills); It was a few
> nights and weekends...
>
> Cheers, Craig Phillips, Praxis Engineering
>
> PS - If you want to take this off line, I'd be happy... My intent was to
> give it to the community and let the community run with it; Although,
> due to politics, I never made an "introduction", but maybe it's time...
> Enough is enough; I never need mvn for anything; I have a src-bnd and I
> let the framework do the "build";

So this very much sounds like it could evolve into an URL handler, where
the URL might be something like src://.... and your builder gets the
package compiles and packages it and provides the InputStream to the result.

I am not even sure, this needs framework hacking: What you probable need:

  * Implement an URL Handler to handle the special source bundles
    being installed using special URLs
  * Use the PackageAdmin service to find packages and classes installed
    in the framework
  * Use OBR to find packages not installed in the framework in a
    remote repository (you probably don't want to install these
    dependencies unless you build a build-machine)

Sounds like an intereting idea, but:  Does this support automated builds
and publications ? How about end users ?

As for Apache: having source-only bundles is not a problem, because
(officially) the ASF only distributes sources [binaries are considered
convenience].

Regards
Felix