felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Review / release OBR 2.0.0
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:57:30 GMT
On 3/5/10 8:25, Arjun Panday wrote:
> For info, what call the "previous version" was revision r886162 of the
> trunk on which I had applied the patch i had suggested for JIRA-692.
>
> As a matter of fact, this little change of behaviour in the resolver
> could have easily gone unnoticed, but -that's my luck- the extra
> bundle brought by the new resolver happens to be
> org.apache.felix.http.jetty-2.0.2.jar: an active bundle which, when
> started, opens a web server on port 8080!
>
> So now, independently of the change in the resolver implem, i'm
> starting to think it's a general issue with the OBR itself: as i add
> resources to my OBR, i have the risk of bringing new active resources
> which in addition to satisfy some package dependency will start doing
> all kinds of things and open connexions behind my back...
> I wanted to use the OBR to have better control over what runs in my
> JVM, but i'm starting to realize that it may do the exact opposite..
> (I shouldn't be that surprised, it's quite obvious when you think
> about it.. only I it had not occured to me before!)

Yes, if you resolve and start bundles somewhat blindly, then you don't
know what is going to happen.

I think the real issue here, though, is the starting of these bundles,
not the resolving. If you need package foo, then getting from anyone is
fine because we know what that will do (assuming no lazy activation). If
you start bundles, then you have no idea.

So, you should only start the bundles you need to start...the Paremus
guys just had a nice blog about this... :-)

Originally, when I first wrote OBR, I didn't even have an option to
start all deployed bundles, it only deployed them...the start was added
as a feature request, but it never really made that much sense to me
since it wasn't clear you wanted to start the transitive set of
dependencies.

We could likely make OBR's deployer smarter. It could look at the types
of dependencies on a particular resource to determine whether or not
they should be started. For example, if all dependencies are of
namespace "package", then there is no reason to start it. However, if
there is a dependency of namespace "service", then it could start it.

I was thinking about this lately, since I've been having some discussion
with the Paremus guys. I think namespace might actually be sufficient
for this. We could actually make the action OBR takes for a particular
namespace configurable, so for example, by default it may start the
"service" namespace, but you could configure it not to.

Ok, I'm rambling...at any rate, to some degree you are correct, you
don't know what you are getting, but it can still be improved doing
something like what I suggest. However, if you need complete control,
then you should just define your own repository that only contains
approved bundles.

-> richard