felix-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Phillips <lcphill...@praxiseng.com>
Subject RE: The activate method has thrown an exception
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:30:23 GMT

Well, I sort of need to get at what the actual exception is...  I moved the wsdl service instantiation
code from the activator to a separate method, which is invoked from within a client's bind
method... Unfortunately, all that did was move the problem... I got a similar behavior from
SCR there: "the client bind method has thrown an exception"...

My gut is there's some sort of config.properties / possibly security setting in order to instantiate
a wsdl service from within an OSGi / SCR-based container...

Interestingly, I wrapped the wsdl instantiation within a try-catch, but apparently the exception
is caught by SCR first, and so the execution stack is hi jacked - thus, my catch{} block is
never executed;

If there are any wsdl experts out there?       Appreciate the feedback/reply, Craig

From: Felix Meschberger
Sent: Tue 3/9/2010 8:52 AM
To: dev@felix.apache.org
Subject: Re: The activate method has thrown an exception

Hi Craig,

The problem seems to be, that in the activate() method an exception is
thrown, which is not handled inside the activate() method.

As a consequence SCR catches the problem and logs said message. As a
further consequence the component is not considered activated and thus
the deactivate method will never be called.

Hope this helps.

On 09.03.2010 14:41, Craig Phillips wrote:
> Hi,
> Felix 201 / SCR1.4.0...   I'm attempting to connect to a wsdl service from within the
activate() method (don't ask / inherited code, although I'm open to suggestions)..
> I am getting this message to log4j:  "The activate method has thrown an exception"...
> I did find one post a la google-surf back to felix and it suggests a security related
issue... There is apparently a fix, from what I can tell, but it seemed that was for felix2.1.0
(no officially released)...