felix-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf 1.4.0
Date Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:29:37 GMT
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 18:33, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Eventually I found the source archives at
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachefelix-010/org/apache/felix/karaf/apache-felix-karaf/1.4.0/apache-felix-karaf-1.4.0-src.tar.gz
>
> The layout of this archive seems a bit peculiar, but I can build it.

Not sure why you say the archive is peculiar, it looks as the usual one to me.

> The following file is found by rat:check to be missing license headers:
>
> deployer/blueprint/src/test/resources/test.xml
>
> The copyright date in the root NOTICE file is 2009
>
> My understanding of best practice for NOTICE files is that they should refer
> to only what is in the artifact they are in.  So the root NOTICE file would
> be better if it left out the "Used Software" section and the license
> summary.  I also don't think its appropriate to include license info in the
> NOTICE file unless it's required by the included software NOTICE; this
> applies to all the NOTICE files.

Yeah and that's how the Felix PMC has decided to work with NOTICE files AFAIK.
There has been some discussions about changing that but no decision so far
IIRC.

> I find the duplicated legal files in root and src to be confusing.  Why not
> just use the standard source distro from the apache 7 pom apache-release
> profile?

The goal is to have clean generated notice files.
In addition, as a felix subproject, we need to have felix-parent as
the parent-pom.
Not sure what the apache 7 changes, but we

> I'd advise fixing these problems and re-rolling the release.

I'm +1 for the release.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet