felix-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ConfigAdmin and asynchronous storage update
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 18:12:46 GMT
Hi,

On 03.02.2010 18:42, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> I'm not completely intimate with the config admin code, but my
> understanding is that configuration updates are done asynchronously.
> The spec section 104.7.3.1 says:
>
>      The update method calls in Configuration objects are not executed
> synchronously
>      with the related target service updated method. This method must be called
>      asynchronously. The Configuration Admin service, however, must
> have updated
>      the persistent storage before the update method returns.
>
> However, looking at the CM code, it looks like everything is executed
> asynchronously.
> I haven't tried, but it looks like if the same thread updates a
> configuration and just after that
> retrieve the configuration again, it may not see the updated values,
> while I think it should
> be the case.
>
> Thoughts ?

Peristing configuration is synchronous: As soon as you call
Configuration.update(Dictionary) the configuration is persisted and thus
available through the ConfigurationAdmin service.

Any notifications and updates -- ConfigurationListener and
ManagedService[Factory] -- take place asynchronously.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Felix