felix-dev mailing list archives

From Royce Ausburn <ro...@inomial.com>
Subject Re: URLStreamHandlers and the java.protocol.handler.pkgs system property
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:16:19 GMT
Hi again,

I've been doing a little more reading of the code and I think I was mistaken.  Looks like
the lookup is done properly in URLHandlers.getBuiltInStreamHandler().

Sorry - must have got a wire crossed.

On 10/11/2009, at 2:13 PM, Royce Ausburn wrote:

> G'day all,
> I'm porting a legacy application to Java EE and having trouble running my app under glassfish
v3 prelude.
> The problem is URL stream handlers.  My application used to register a URLStreamHandlerFactory
against java.net.URL, but that doesn't work anymore as felix registers a factory before my
app starts.  So I decided to use the java.protocol.handler.pkgs system property only to find
that it's not effective.  After checking out Felix from svn I found the URLHandlers class
honours handlers for some default protocols (file, ftp, http, https, jar), but it seems that
any other protocols are discarded.
> I'm not familiar with osgi... Is it intended behaviour to ignore the rest?  If so, I'm
interested to know why.
> I suppose I have the option to write a bundle and register that, but I'm not keen on
it... The application's handlers use classes from the application and working out how this
would work in a bundle isn't something I'd like to spend my time on as I have deadlines to
meet =(
> Is there any way I can get around this?  Would it be possible to have the URLHandler
class fall back to the system properties if no bundle has been registered?
> Cheers!
> --Royce

View raw message