felix-dev mailing list archives

From Royce Ausburn <ro...@inomial.com>
Subject Re: URLStreamHandlers and the java.protocol.handler.pkgs system property
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:09:08 GMT

Just wanted to confirm I'm a fool and it's all working beautifully.  Sorry for the false alarm
=)

--Royce

On 10/11/2009, at 8:43 PM, Karl Pauls wrote:

> Yes, we do fallback to the java.protocol.handler.pkgs system property.
> Let us know if you run into any difficulties with that as it would be
> a bug if that doesn't work :-)
>
> regards,
>
> Karl
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Royce Ausburn <royce@inomial.com> wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I've been doing a little more reading of the code and I think I was mistaken.  Looks
like the lookup is done properly in URLHandlers.getBuiltInStreamHandler().

>> Sorry - must have got a wire crossed.
>>
>> --Royce
>>
>> On 10/11/2009, at 2:13 PM, Royce Ausburn wrote:
>>
>>> G'day all,
>>>
>>> I'm porting a legacy application to Java EE and having trouble running my app
under glassfish v3 prelude.

>>> The problem is URL stream handlers.  My application used to register a URLStreamHandlerFactory
against java.net.URL, but that doesn't work anymore as felix registers a factory before my
app starts.  So I decided to use the java.protocol.handler.pkgs system property only to find
that it's not effective.  After checking out Felix from svn I found the URLHandlers class
honours handlers for some default protocols (file, ftp, http, https, jar), but it seems that
any other protocols are discarded.

>>> I'm not familiar with osgi... Is it intended behaviour to ignore the rest?  If
so, I'm interested to know why.

>>> I suppose I have the option to write a bundle and register that, but I'm not
keen on it... The application's handlers use classes from the application and working out
how this would work in a bundle isn't something I'd like to spend my time on as I have deadlines
to meet =(

>>> Is there any way I can get around this?  Would it be possible to have the URLHandler
class fall back to the system properties if no bundle has been registered?