felix-dev mailing list archives

From Royce Ausburn <ro...@inomial.com>
Subject Re: URLStreamHandlers and the java.protocol.handler.pkgs system property
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:46:48 GMT
Hi again,

I've got my handler working properly now, but I'm unhappy that I need to add the -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=my.pkg.prefix
property to my application container's startup configuration.  Ideally I could update the
system property in some startup code and have one less thing to make sure is configured.
This works when I run my application in a "standalone" mode where my application starts up
Jetty and manually registers its servlets, and it seems to work without the jvm-option in
glassfish 2.1.1 (pre felix, I believe).

I appreciate that this change may cause the handler for a particular protocol to be unstable
depending upon when the system property is set, and that's a compelling reason to not do this,
but I felt it'd be worth discussing.  I'm certainly no expert in your domain, so please feel
free to get the hell off your mailing list ;)

I guess I'm reeling from how much configuration I'm finding I need to do as I move to Java
EE... perhaps I just need to harden up ;)

On 11/11/2009, at 2:09 AM, Royce Ausburn wrote:

> Just wanted to confirm I'm a fool and it's all working beautifully.  Sorry for the false
alarm =)
> --Royce
> On 10/11/2009, at 8:43 PM, Karl Pauls wrote:
>> Yes, we do fallback to the java.protocol.handler.pkgs system property.
>> Let us know if you run into any difficulties with that as it would be
>> a bug if that doesn't work :-)
>> regards,
>> Karl
>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Royce Ausburn <royce@inomial.com> wrote:
>>> Hi again,
>>> I've been doing a little more reading of the code and I think I was mistaken.
 Looks like the lookup is done properly in URLHandlers.getBuiltInStreamHandler().
>>> Sorry - must have got a wire crossed.
>>> --Royce
app under glassfish v3 prelude.
against java.net.URL, but that doesn't work anymore as felix registers a factory before my
app starts.  So I decided to use the java.protocol.handler.pkgs system property only to find
that it's not effective.  After checking out Felix from svn I found the URLHandlers class
honours handlers for some default protocols (file, ftp, http, https, jar), but it seems that
any other protocols are discarded.
 If so, I'm interested to know why.
not keen on it... The application's handlers use classes from the application and working
out how this would work in a bundle isn't something I'd like to spend my time on as I have
deadlines to meet =(
URLHandler class fall back to the system properties if no bundle has been registered?
>> --
>> Karl Pauls
>> karlpauls@gmail.com

View raw message