felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf 1.2.0
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:54:06 GMT
+1

There are certainly issues of accuracy with the NOTICE files, but since
our understanding of what is needed for NOTICE files is evolving, I
guess we can say these aren't critical. However, we still need to come
up with some final understanding about what we are doing with our NOTICE
files, since it is hard to verify our releases without clear rules.

Most NOTICE files in Karaf modules just use the name "Apache Felix
Karaf", but I think they should use a name for the specific module.

Currently, most modules depend on Felix' OSGi JAR files, but they should
be moved to the OSGi JAR files.

Lastly, and this is not specific to Karaf, but the release process for
modular systems isn't good. Karaf has 35 or so modules and actually
verifying them (not just +1'ing) is a major commitment in time and even
then it is difficult to do a good job.

At some point, we are going to have to lobby to refine the release
process within Apache or else we are going to buckle under the weight of
so many modules, IMO.

-> richard