felix-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Pauls <karlpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: URLStreamHandlers and the java.protocol.handler.pkgs system property
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:43:35 GMT
Yes, we do fallback to the java.protocol.handler.pkgs system property.
Let us know if you run into any difficulties with that as it would be
a bug if that doesn't work :-)

regards,

Karl

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Royce Ausburn <royce@inomial.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I've been doing a little more reading of the code and I think I was mistaken.  Looks
like the lookup is done properly in URLHandlers.getBuiltInStreamHandler().

> Sorry - must have got a wire crossed.
>
> --Royce
>
> On 10/11/2009, at 2:13 PM, Royce Ausburn wrote:
>
>> G'day all,
>>
>> I'm porting a legacy application to Java EE and having trouble running my app under
glassfish v3 prelude.

>> The problem is URL stream handlers.  My application used to register a URLStreamHandlerFactory
against java.net.URL, but that doesn't work anymore as felix registers a factory before my
app starts.  So I decided to use the java.protocol.handler.pkgs system property only to find
that it's not effective.  After checking out Felix from svn I found the URLHandlers class
honours handlers for some default protocols (file, ftp, http, https, jar), but it seems that
any other protocols are discarded.

>> I'm not familiar with osgi... Is it intended behaviour to ignore the rest?  If so,
I'm interested to know why.

>> I suppose I have the option to write a bundle and register that, but I'm not keen
on it... The application's handlers use classes from the application and working out how this
would work in a bundle isn't something I'd like to spend my time on as I have deadlines to
meet =(

>> Is there any way I can get around this?  Would it be possible to have the URLHandler
class fall back to the system properties if no bundle has been registered?

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com