felix-dev mailing list archives

From Alin Dreghiciu <adreghi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Karaf features + Sigil launch
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2009 09:27:44 GMT
I do not want to compare the two formats so here fact about the "profile"
format: * profile format is the format that can be scanned by a composite
scanner (scan-composite:). Here is some more documentation:
http://paxrunner.ops4j.org/display/paxrunner/Composite+provisioning
* it can include any other provisioning specs so you can scan from karaf
features, simple text files containing bundles urls, maven poms, directories
containing bundles, zips containing jars, any bundle referenced by url.
* it can include references to another composite scanners.
* there are a bunch of such files in Pax Runner repository:
http://paxrunner.ops4j.org/space/Pax+Runner+profiles+list (
https://scm.ops4j.org/repos/ops4j/projects/pax/runner-repository/org/ops4j/pax/runner/profiles/
)
* the whole functionality about using this scanners is extracted out of pax
runner into pax scanner project

Now related to the part where you launch an osgi framework you may want to
take a look at pax runner eclipse plugin that allows you to start any OSS
framework / any version and we can discuss about any features you may need.

About install/update/uninstall bundles in the external running framework you
may want to look at Pax Exam RBC (remote bundle context) that we use it to
allow the install/uninstall of bundles from outside of the process (RMI) +
allows to make calls to services in the remote process. Again, if any
special needs, let me know.

About ivy is just a matter (I think) of implementing an url handler as we
did for maven. Actually we have an issue there to support it but yet there
was not requested.

HTH

--
Alin Dreghiciu