felix-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: [PROPOSAL] Apache Aries incubator for Enterprise OSGi
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2009 16:23:44 GMT
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 18:15, Richard S. Hall <heavy@ungoverned.org> wrote:

> For me personally, I have no problem with referring to things as Apache
> iPOJO, etc. I was under the [apparently mistaken] impression that we could
> not do this, because it implied it was a TLP. So, we could change all of
> those names in one swoop and I would be fine with that.
> As far as coming up with a name for the framework subproject, I don't have
> an issue with that either. Maybe it has been long enough now that we could
> may be too generic, e.g., Apache Framework.

Yeah, "Apache Framework"  would be a very bad name imho.  In the recent
past, the ASF tend to use project names that are not technology names.
Apache WebServices is a really good example of a bad name, and that's for
this very reason that the ASF now try to find non technology related names.
Oscar would be fine, though I think to ease removing the confusion, it would
be better to rename the TLP itself if ever possible.

> -> richard
> On 9/1/09 12:10, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>> Forwarding an exerpt of one of my answer to Richard reply.
>> I really think it's worth discussing it anyway.
>> Most of the TLP I know about that have subprojects usually refer to those
>> subprojects as Apache Foo and not Apache Bar Foo.
>> So this would mean Apache iPojo and not Apache Felix iPojo, ditto for
>> other
>> subprojects.
>> I also think the "branding" problem should be addressed (if possible) by
>> renaming either the framework or the TLP.  It looks to me that renaming
>> the
>> TLP (even if I think would better) might be more difficult to achieve from
>> an infra pov, but I may be wrong (I know there are some tools for
>> migrating
>> mailing lists and such, so it might not be so difficult).
>> I'd like to hear other's thoughts.

Guillaume Nodet
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
Open Source SOA