felix-dev mailing list archives

From Don Brown <donald.br...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java 1.6 Server VM bug not letting go off Felx (was: Concurrency problems in latest Felix)
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2009 07:06:02 GMT
Here is the summary I posted a few months back:

---

Well, we mostly figured out what the problem is and how to work around
it.  Sun's best guess is we are hitting this bug from 2003 [1], which
causes Felix to not be garbage collectible occasionally despite the
lack of a gc root.  The problem was exasperated by the fact that our
system bundle activators weren't releasing their services on shutdown,
causing the whole of JIRA to be dragged into the memory leak black
hole.  We fixed that issue with lots of service deregistrations and
nulls (I guess sometimes final isn't the best option), so while we are
still leaking a few Felix instances, our total memory leak over 200
restarts is 7mb.

For the record, this bug is only with Sun's JVM 1.5 and 1.6 in server
mode.  Client mode, in a 32-bit JVM, is fine as is IBM's JVM.

Thanks for the help,

Don

[1] http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4957990