felix-dev mailing list archives

From David Savage <dave.sav...@paremus.com>
Subject Re: Sigil progress
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 13:27:44 GMT
On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Richard S. Hall<heavy@ungoverned.org> wrote:
> On 8/7/09 4:44, David Savage wrote:
>>
>> Hi Stephen,
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Stephen Evanchik<evanchsa@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hi David,

>>> This is great. I have not looked at Sigil since the move to Apache.
>>> Now that it is self-hosting I'll check it out.
>>>

>> Thx great to have some feedback, obviously there are still some rough
>> edges at the moment due to the move and just in general due to time
>> constraints but hopefully with the code on Apache it will get some
>> good eyeballing and we can progress it further.

>>> I am curious to know what you mean by this? FWIW, I have committed an
>>> Eclipse PDE OSGi Framework launcher for Felix at the Eclipse
>>> Integration for Karaf project I run here:
>>> http://fusesource.com/forge/projects/EIK
>>>

>> So the idea is to create an Eclipse PDE Framework Launcher hooked into
>> the Sigil project model that uses the RFC 132 launching api vs a
>> framework specific mechanism. This would allow sigil to launch any
>> OSGi framework from this common API. There are some gotcha's here
>> though - it looks like the equinox 3.5 release and the spec didn't
>> quite meet - so from my testing so far it looks like equinox is
>> expecting some framework specific headers that aren't in the spec :-s.
>> I haven't yet tried the equinox trunk so perhaps this is fixed by now?
>>

> Really? Like what? I have used a common launcher to launch both Equinox and
> Felix...it was a simple launcher, but it worked.

So I'm seeing the following error message:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot
start without the following system properties set: osgi.framework,
osgi.install.area
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.FrameworkProperties.initializeProperties(FrameworkProperties.java:120)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.EquinoxLauncher.internalInit(EquinoxLauncher.java:65)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.EquinoxLauncher.init(EquinoxLauncher.java:38)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.launch.Equinox.init(Equinox.java:89)
	at org.apache.felix.sigil.common.runtime.Main.main(Main.java:47)

This is when using org.eclipse.osgi_3.5.100.v20090629.jar which I
resolve from the spring bundle repository - I guess there's the added
possibility that the bundle in the spring repository is not the latest
3.5 from eclipse?

I've just committed the skeleton code I've been putting together for a
sigil launcher in svn revision 801990 - it's trivial at this stage as
I haven't had much time to look at this yet, also by the sounds of
things I might be duplicating effort if I'm able to use the launcher
you refer to?