felix-dev mailing list archives

From Filippo Diotalevi <filippo.diotal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New framework launcher
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 20:11:19 GMT
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Richard S. Hall<heavy@ungoverned.org> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> The benefit here is we no longer need to configure the felix.auto.start
> property to auto deploy the bundles in the "bundle" directory. If you want
> to add/remove bundles, you just add/remove them to/from the "bundle"
> directory. This is intended to be much simpler than File Install and only
> takes effect at framework startup with no monitoring of the directory at run
> time. (I originally thought about using File Install, but after a spate of
> threading issues with File Install in JIRA, I felt it was maybe too much.)

I think that would be a nice enhancement to the launcher (great for
experiments and prototyping), as long as it is possible to preserve
the current behavior (to make to upgrade in existing application
smooth)

> One issue I was wondering about is whether or not I should make the launcher
> perform an update on bundles in the "bundle" directory when they are already
> installed. This would be a change from previous behavior, which always just
> installed so you would only see the existing installed bundle even if you
> changed the target. It seems like this could be convenient, but not strictly
> necessary. What do you think?

I'm not sure we need that. Sure it is useful, but it would be just an
half-baked provisioning system, where you can only update bundles but
not install or uninstall them.

--
Filippo Diotalevi