felix-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Evanchik <evanc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sigil progress
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 03:41:29 GMT
Hi David,

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:58 PM, David Savage<dave.savage@paremus.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Just to let you know some progress on sigil in terms of self hosting.
> I've now managed to get sigil to such a stage where I can build the
> eclipse bundles using the apache sigil ivy integration and run them in
> eclipse to edit the apache sigil source. I'll write up some docs on
> this on the wiki in due course.

This is great. I have not looked at Sigil since the move to Apache.
Now that it is self-hosting I'll check it out.

> The next thing I'd like to look at is runtime support to allow me to
> close the loop and debug sigil using sigil then we should be able to
> make rapid progress. It was discussed that the runtime support should
> probably be based on the RFC 132 launching api. Just wondering if
> anyone can point me in sensible directions in the felix source to go
> look into this?

I am curious to know what you mean by this? FWIW, I have committed an
Eclipse PDE OSGi Framework launcher for Felix at the Eclipse
Integration for Karaf project I run here:
http://fusesource.com/forge/projects/EIK

I have been working on WTP integration and started building project
Natures, Facet installers and realized that the world didn't need yet
another set of OSGi project tooling inside of Eclipse.

Do you think it makes sense to collaborate in a way that makes it easy
for people using Sigil to develop Karaf based applications?

I'll grab the Sigil source now and do a build and poke around but I
think with EIK supporting Karaf on Equinox and now also on Felix from
within PDE it makes sense for me to start thinking these sorts of
things.

> Also if anyone has any graphics skills sigil is currently lacking any
> form of icons - which gets a bit dreary in the IDE, I've raised an
> issue for this [1] in case anyone wants to jump in and help out...

It seems we're all in this boat ;)

You can read more about EIK at my blog:
http://stephen.evanchik.com/category/entries/life/open-source/karaf or
watch Oisin's screencast:
http://eik.fusesource.org/documentation/tutorial.html for a great
summary.

Oisin and I haven't had time to really document things but between the
screencast and the blog you'll get the idea where things are going.

Stephen

--
Stephen Evanchik
http://stephen.evanchik.com