felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig Phillips" <lcphill...@praxiseng.com>
Subject The framework does the build / the framework is the convention
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2009 01:14:39 GMT
Toying with this idea...

I had written a script runner for OSGi (actually, I did it for equinox but I am a felix fan...
although, I did have to make use of the buddy policy for the circular dependency -- seeing
that pre-modular is rather abusive in that department);

I wrote a BSF-JRuby-Groovy script runner (I am not a fan of javax.scripting -- it's way too
complicated... pretty much like everything in jee) that would scan a directory ('er, the watcher
part), load up / execute the script and allow the script to access any loaded class in the
OSGi container; I spent days writing a class loader for those engines... barely any lines
of code, but uncovering the riddles was another painful saga;

Anyway, for a choice set of scripting languages, maybe even scala, and I guess I could mention
java source as well -- I'm thinking I could write a bundle that would allow for "script-bundles"
or "source-bundles" to be loaded into an OSGi container in pretty much the same fashion as
"pre-built" bundles are now;

In essence, "the framework is the build"; So, a "source-bundle" could contain all the same
kind of OSGi bundle manifest information, OSGI-OPT, OSGI-INFO, resources etc... Except --
zero dot.class files... only source files, in possibly scala or maybe even dot.java files...
Hence, part of the install/start process would be predicated on a "build" - I'm thinking scala
or groovy could be "compiled" as well;

Further, we no longer need complicated CM schemes -- after all, the bundle IS the source at
a particular version; As for dependency management, well, if it aint available, we aint "compiling";

The framework IS the convention;

The convention is not some dreaded build tool of the anti-christ whose name is the name of
the beast, which starts with an "M", but I digress;

Several nightmares are alleviated, namely CM and build; As for the capability maturity model
(what a scam that was), there is no need for anything to be "repeated"; The trunk just carries
along;

It probably wouldn't take too long to assemble a demo capability, but I just don't have the
free time to devote to a production undertaking; In any case, it's time that new ideas to
push the "modular world" further, and thus pushing the development "industry" away from and
out of the perpetual nightmares that plague the industry, might just get to a level of quality
RAD unheard of prior;

Oh, I'm sure the "job security" crowd will have a fit, but they can't develop anyway;

Flame away, back to your regular station...

Cheers, Craig