felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Sigil launcher
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 19:34:28 GMT
On 8/20/09 15:17, David Savage wrote:
> Sure like the felix launcher with the bundles dir which is like a
> simple version of fileinstall - this is a lowest common denominator
> type approach for remote control of an OSGi runtime. As you say I
> /could/ use the directory based bundle launch mechanism to start the
> server as a bundle - but what if that's the behaviour we wanted to
> debug via the ide - separating it out stuck me as cleaner as long as
> it remains light weight. From the IDE perspective I want to be able to
> bring the OSGi runtime up with as few dependencies as possible - as
> then what ever you debug is out of band of the IDE interaction.

Still, we could potentially accomplish this via a wrapper approach. For
example, we could modify our Main.java launcher to have a
Main.getFramework() method. Then in the wrapper, you could invoke
Main.main() to start the framework, call Main.getFramework() to get the
created instance, open your socket and go to town. This would involve
minimal dependencies too, but would avoid duplicating launcher code.

Well, let's see what other people think.

-> richard