felix-dev mailing list archives

From David Savage <dave.sav...@paremus.com>
Subject Re: [karaf] Switching from gshell to gogo
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:21:49 GMT
Just to point out, one other minor difference between RFC 132 and
other command handlers...having made the conversion ourselves in Posh
[1] The TCL implementation treats command names as method names so
they need to be valid java names - so characters like "-" are not
allowed. In our case command with names such as "do-this" had to
become "do_this"

Possibly this is a limitation of the current impl vs a requirement of the spec?

But I thought I'd warn you...

Regards,

Dave

[1] http://www.paremus.com/resources/_resources_presentations_pdf/Paremus_-_Posh_-_an_OSGi_shell_-_RFC132_in_action.html

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Guillaume Nodet<gnodet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, if we consider switching, it *is* the right moment, as Karaf has
> not done any release yet.
> I'd rather do that before the first release than after.
>
> That said, the commands will be the same as we would just port the
> existing karaf commands for gshell to gogo, which currently has a very
> minimal impact (change the base class and the package for annotations,
> that's mostly it).
> From a syntax point of view, the difference now is that they would
> look like osgi:list instead of osgi/list, but I'm quite sure I can
> hack gogo to allow the customization of the separator.
> I don't see any technical problems in porting the completers (which
> are really helpful).
>
> So in short, if I can configure gogo to use '/' instead of ':' as a
> separator, it should be mostly transparent for end users.  People
> having written commands would need to migrate though (but as I said,
> it's easy to do).
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:16, Charles Moulliard<cmoulliard@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi guillaume,
>>
>> From a technical point of view, this seems very interesting but is it the
>> right moment to do this migration regarding to client(s) using Apache
>> ServiceMix4, ... ? This will impact existing documents, tutorials, ...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Charles Moulliard
>> Senior Enterprise Architect
>> Apache Camel Committer
>>
>> *****************************
>> blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been considering swithing karaf shell from Geronimo Gshell to Felix
>>> Gogo.
>>> The main reasons are:
>>>  * Gogo is/will implement OSGi RFC 0142 to standardize the shell
>>> (it's not yet a spec, but should be in the future)
>>>  * Gogo should be able to be used at launch time to run the framework
>>>  * Gogo shell syntax is more powerfull, in addition to pipes, it
>>> supports closures, loops, if / then / else ...
>>>  * lightweight: < 100 ko vs > 1 Mo for gshell
>>>
>>> The drawbacks are:
>>>  * yet another change in the syntax (we've already changed it when
>>> between 1.0.0 and 1.1.0)
>>>  * some more work is needed as we're currently missing completors,
>>> history, banner
>>>
>>> Feedback welcome
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guillaume Nodet
>>> ------------------------
>>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Source SOA
>>> http://fusesource.com
>>>

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

Paremus Limited. Registered in England. Registration No. 4181472

Registered Office: 22-24 Broad Street, Wokingham, Berks RG40 1BA

Postal Address: 107-111 Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2AB

The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or
is prohibited.

If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete
the material from any computer.