felix-dev mailing list archives

From Filippo Diotalevi <filippo.diotal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New feature in FileInstall
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:52:45 GMT
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Alin Dreghiciu<adreghiciu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Yesterday I got the question if Pax URLs are supported by FileInstall. Of
> course there are not as you must have the bundle in the scanned directory.
> But, In my view with quite a simple change this can be done. And is about
> making FileInstall support any url, so including pax urls.
> The idea is that file install to support beside jar, .cfg files also .lnk
> files. What is a link file? A simple text file that contains the url of the
> actual bundle to be installed.
> So, if file install finds such a file, it reads the content and installs the
> bundle mentioned in the file via url. If .lnk file changes the old content
> (bundle) is uninstalled and the new one is installed.
> To me looks like a powerful option. A more "advanced" usage would be that
> teh .lnk file to be a properties file with properties as "url" and "start"
> and "startlevel".

Hi Alin,
  as discussed at [1], I think that there is definitely interest for
extending FI to support other artifacts besides jar and cfg files.
On the other side, I'm also of the opinion that FI should be usable
with the minimum felix configuration (felix+shell+fileinstall), with
no additional dependencies.

I think the technical solution to make everybody happy should be the
same adopted by the Apache Karaf Deployer ([2]): keep the fileinstall
lightweight, supporting only jar and cfg, and use the whiteboard
pattern to allow the definition of additional "deployers".

Doing this way, FI would remain clean and lightweight, and you will be
able to install new bundles adding additional support for other
artifacts (.lnk, .war, karaf features and so on)

WDYT?

[1] http://www.nabble.com/-DISCUSS--Align-Karaf-deployer-and-felix-fileinstall-td24030876.html#a24032869
[2]http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/karaf/deployer/filemonitor/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/karaf/deployer/filemonitor/DeploymentListener.java
--