felix-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Align Karaf deployer and felix fileinstall
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:18:15 GMT
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:00, Sahoo<Sahoo@sun.com> wrote:
> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to start discussing how we can merge karaf deployer and felix
>> fileinstall.
>> Note that karaf deployer is originally based on the same code base but
>> has since evolved.
>>

> FileInstall code has evolved as well, so merge will be painful.
>>
>> Here are a list of the main features we've added to the karaf deployer
>> over time:
>>   *  use the preference service (if available) to store the status of
>> the deployer
>>       thus the last update time for each tracked object is stored and
>> at restart the deployer
>>

> file install uses bundle.getLastModified and compares it with
> file.lastModified() to detect updates. What's wrong with this approach?

How can fileinstall discover bundles deleted while fileinstall is not
running (usually because the osgi framework has been stopped and
restarted later) ?

>>       is able to detect changed files
>>   * ability to handle exploded bundles
>>

> +1
>>
>>   * ability to transform artifacts on the fly (wars, spring config
>> files, blueprint config files, etc...) through OSGi services
>>      this issue has been raised in FELIX-922
>>

> +1
>>
>> I know some of you wants to keep file install minimalistic, so I'd be
>> fine keeping both versions around if that's the outcome of the
>> discussion, but I think we need to have this discussion at some point.
>>  Note that the karaf deployer is only 35k whereas fileinstall is 32k
>> ... so I guess we need to define what minimalistic / lightweight /
>> (whatever adjective you want) is ...
>>

> While size is important, so are dependencies. We should try not to add too
> many dependencies. What are the dependencies of karaf deployer?

There is an additional dependency on the preference service package
(currently not an optional import) and for logging, the dependency is
on org.apache.commons.logging instead of the osgi log service.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet