felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Moloney, Tim M" <Tim.Molo...@ManTech.com>
Subject RE: Google Summer of Code
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2009 22:10:58 GMT

I've been working with Karaf and features a lot recently.  I was curious
how a webconsole plugin would work so I looked at your code.  I was
happy to see that things seemed very simple and straight-forward so I
was inspired to try to extend your features plugin.

I quickly discovered that things are not what they appeared.  I didn't
investigate how the core plugins are loaded but the features plugin
appears to be loaded via Spring.  Loading plugins this way doesn't use
AbstractWebConsolePlugin as it is "advertised" and many things just
don't work (activate() and deactivate() are never called,
getBundleContext() returns null, etc).  It looks like a lot of the
webconsole infrastructure is hidden in
org.apache.felix.webconsole.internal so to get a plugin working with any
reasonable functionality would require duplicating a lot of those

Perhaps I missed the proper way to initialize a webconsole plugin and
get at the utility methods.  If not, I would suggest refactoring the
infrastructure of webconsole so that extending AbstractWebConsolePlugin
does work as expected.

Tim Moloney             The  reasonable  man adapts  himself  to
MRSL                    the world; the unreasonable one persists
2015 Cattlemen Road     in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Sarasota, FL  34232     Therefore  all progress  depends on  the
(941) 377-6775 x208     unreasonable man.    George Bernard Shaw

View raw message