felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Why reference: scheme is supported only for file URLs?
Date Sun, 07 Jun 2009 16:45:32 GMT
On 6/7/09 9:31 AM, Sahoo wrote:
> Stuart McCulloch wrote:
>> I guess I'm not seeing why you want to use the reference: scheme with
>> non-file URLs?
>> do you just want to avoid copying the remote content locally or is there
>> another reason?
> Good question. I want to modify the content as it is read. e.g., I
> want to process the MANIFEST.MF by having my own URL handler for a
> custom protocol. All these work as long as I don't use reference scheme.

We use JarFile internally, which needs a File. Of course, we could read
the JAR using a JarInputStream (I tried it this way a long time ago with
Oscar), but it is really slow. So, in the end, we need to copy it any
way, so it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Last time I
checked, Equinox was the same.

It seems like you should just create your own stream handler, no?

-> richard

View raw message