felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code: Marcin Wilkos
Date Wed, 27 May 2009 21:43:58 GMT
On May 27, 2009, at 12:11 , Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> I don't think having a UserAdmin delegating to JAAS could work because
> JAAS does not provide anything about modifying the underlying storage
> for creating / removing users or groups.   UserAdmin provides such
> features, so I think it has to be to other way around: it should be
> quite easy to implement a JAAS login module that delegates to
> UserAdmin.

I appearantly don't know JAAS well enough, that's a good point. Also,
the compendium spec (107.7) talks a bit about JAAS and UserAdmin, that
might be worth having a look at.

> Given I don't think requiring JAAS is a good idea, that's why I
> proposed such a simple API.

> I don't really see any drawback to such a pluggable mechanism, as I
> think it can be implemented for both JAAS and UserAdmin in a few lines
> of code: [snip..]

It's not a big drawback, I agree. I still have a small preference for
using UserAdmin as the basis (even if you cannot implement any of the
methods that modify things using JAAS) but a small extra interface is
okay too.

Greetings, Marcel

View raw message