felix-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Webconsole and ConfigAdmin
Date Mon, 11 May 2009 18:45:41 GMT
Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi Guillaume,
>
> Guillaume Nodet schrieb:
>> What is the config tab supposed to display when the configurations
>> available in the config admin do not have any metadata infos and are
>> not SCR managed ?
>> Currently, those are not even displayed in the list box.
>> I've been able to change that using a simple patch and now I can see 3
>> buttons (save, reset, delete), but no way to change any values.
>> Any idea?
>
> Yes ;-)
>
> The reason for only displaying configurations for which metadata exists,
> is to limit the configuration list. In addition the web console uses the
> metadata to render the configuration GUI.
>
> If there is no metadata, all the web console could do is show the
> configuration values as name value pairs - currently IIRC in a <textarea>.
>
> I could imagine the following:
>
> * A switch allows to show or hide the service PIDs for which no metadata
> exists. Service PIDs come from existing configuration and registered
> ManagedService[Factory] instances.
>
> * Configuration for which no metadata exists can be displayed as follows:
>    - existing properties are displayed with property name and
>      input fields according to current property value (array, vector,
>      single value of a given type)
>    - additional properties may be added by specifying cardinality
>      and type and then the form entries are created on-the-fly
>
> WDYT ?

Hmpf I was just drafting a similar answer :) But you beat me (again..)
I think those changes make sense, in addition we need to rewamp the
config tab anyway, so maybe we can divide it into section (configs with
metadata, all configs, factories) or something like that.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org