felix-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:38:19 GMT
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:50 AM, James Strachan <james.strachan@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/4/3 Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org>:
> > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
> >> moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
> >> ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
> >> server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
> >> more informations).
> >>
> >> I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
> >> to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
> >> and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
> >> that's another problem.
> >> Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
> >> specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
> >> and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
> >> http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
> >
> > Guys,
> > considering how much attention this have received, and positive
> > comments all around (i'll add mine now), why move it to Felix.
> I think the aim was to build up the Karaf community; unify and align
> with more of Felix and hopefully get folks from outside of ServiceMIx
> and Felix to contribute and then when the community has grown we can
> go TLP later on if required.

Yep it brings Karaf developers closer to Felix and Felix developers closer
to Karaf.  Furthermore it makes Felix a one stop shop for OSGi.  I don't
think we have the fear of ballooning up to a Jakarta either.  I think
Niclas, you, understand that so as your old friend I'm going to think this
is one of your devil's advocate positions :-).